The University Health Center and Nebraska Medicine are committed to offering job shadowing for students. The job shadowing experience is designed to be a one-time observation-only experience, lasting approximately two hours. The job shadowing experience does not fulfill any clinical or internship requirements, nor does it provide any hands-on experience. Job shadowing is for individual participants only and is not available for groups of students. Job shadowing is available Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
To maintain the integrity we have with our patients, we require anyone who comes into contact with our patients to complete the submission process to learn about HIPPA, dress code and more.
How to Submit a Job Shadow Request
- Visit the Nebraska Medicine job shadowing program website.
- Select the gray box entitled “Job Shadowing Application procedure and contact information”.
- Review the Job Shadowing Program Guide.
- Click the link to access the required HIPAA quiz. Once you submit the quiz, a screen will pop up asking for your contact information and in which area you are interested in shadowing. You must type "University Health Center" in the "Reason for Participation" field or your request will not be properly routed.
- After completing that information, it will send you to the Job Shadow Application, which you should complete, print and sign. You MUST bring this with you on the day of your job shadow.
- Someone will be in contact with you to schedule your job shadow.
Day of Job Shadow
- The University Health Center is located at 1500 U St. Metered parking is available along 16th Street, and the closest parking garage is located at 14th and Q Streets. Parking in the patient or staff parking lots behind the University Health Center is not permitted; you will be ticketed or towed.
- Once you have parked and arrived at the University Health Center, please head to Administration, Room 209, to retrieve your temporary job shadow badge and turn in your completed Job Shadow Application. Someone from the department you are shadowing will come retrieve you from Administration.
Things to Remember
- If you are not dressed properly, you will not be allowed to job shadow.
- If you do not have your Job Shadow Application, you will not be allowed to shadow.
- If you are sick, you will not be allowed to shadow.
For questions, email email@example.com
Exploring Health Careers
The University Health Center offers other ways for students to explore careers in the health field.
- Medical career educational events and tours of the University Health Center
- Celebrations of national health weeks with activities to get students involved
For more information about how the University Health Center can help students explore careers in the health field, please call: (402) 472-5000.