Questions about this policy can be directed to the University Health Center Insurance Coordinator at 402 472-7507 or healthyoption@unl.edu .
International Students.      International students with "F" or "J" visas registered for classes at UNL are required to have health insurance. These students will automatically be enrolled and billed for the University’s student health insurance plan (The UNL Healthy Option Student Plan) during each insurance coverage period based upon enrollment in classes.

International Student Insurance Waiver Policy.      International students may apply for a waiver from purchasing the University’s student health insurance plan if they have proof of equivalent health insurance benefits under another plan.

    Equivalent health insurance benefits must include:
  1. At least $500,000.00 of coverage
  2. A deductible no greater than $400.00
  3. Unlimited medical evacuation and repatriation benefits
  4. Coverage for each semester when enrolled in class. Coverage periods run from August 14 through December 31 and January 1 through August 13.
When necessary the University Health Center Insurance Coordinator will verify additional information such as insurance carrier financial rating and United States claims processing contact information. Equivalent health insurance benefit requirements are based upon United States Department of State guidelines.

Waiver applications are available on the University Health Center’s website and must be submitted each semester by the 14th day of class (February 1, 2014). Waiver applications are available on the Health Center’s website 45 days prior to the waiver deadline and are removed at 5:00 PM on the waiver deadline date.

WAIVER APPLICATIONS WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED AFTER THE 14th DAY OF CLASS (FEBRUARY 1, 2014).

Complete processing of the waiver application may take up to 10 business days. Students may check to see if the waiver process has been completed by logging into MyRED and verifying the premium has been credited to their UNL student account. The UHC Insurance Coordinator will notify students via email when waivers are not accepted.
Graduate Assistants.      Graduate students who have a graduate assistantship appointment of 33% or higher will automatically be enrolled and billed for the University’s student health insurance plan (The UNL Healthy Option Student Plan) during each insurance coverage period. The student’s employing department pays 79% of the premium. The graduate assistant pays the remaining 21% of the premium.

Graduate Assistant Insurance Waiver Policy.      Non-international graduate assistants may waive coverage by completing the waiver application form. Proof of equivalent health insurance benefits under another plan is not required for non-international graduate assistants.

Waiver applications are available on the University Health Center’s website and must be submitted each semester by the 14th day of class (February 1, 2014). Waiver applications are available on the Health Center’s website 45 days prior to the waiver deadline and are removed at 5:00 p.m. on the waiver deadline date.

WAIVER APPLICATIONS WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED AFTER THE 14th DAY OF CLASS (FEBRUARY 1, 2014).

Complete processing of the waiver application may take up to 10 business days. Students may check to see if the waiver process has been completed by logging into MyRED and verifying the premium has been credited to their UNL student account. The UHC Insurance Coordinator will notify students via email when waivers are not accepted.
Waive the UNL Healthy Option Student Plan.     
Please Note: Waiver applications for this period, Spring/Summer 2014, are no longer being accepted.