Considering an IUD
If you decide to have an IUD placed, please call the University Health Center at 402-472-7477 to schedule your appointment.
It is your responsibility to check with your insurance regarding insurance coverage for an IUD insertion. (StudentBlue covers an IUD at 100%). If the IUD service is not paid by your insurance, you will be responsible for all charges.Questions to ask your insurance company:
- Is the IUD device/procedure covered?
- Is the University Health Center a preferred provider or do I need to go elsewhere?
- How much do I have to pay?
- Ask your insurance to fax a copy of coverage to the University Health Center (Fax #: 402-472-4593).
If you have not had STD testing within the last 6 months, STD testing will be done at appointment time (at additional charge).
Things to remember before your appointment:
- Please eat something before you come. You can take three to four (200 mg) ibuprofen (with food) 30-60 minutes before appointment.
- Abstinence (have had no sexual intercourse) is REQUIRED 7 days prior to your appointment. A urine pregnancy test will be done the day of your IUD insertion (at additional charge) so please check in 10-15 minutes prior to your appointment.
- Continue your current birth control method prior to IUD insertion.
- IUD's do not provide protection from sexually transmitted infections (STI's). Condoms should be used.
You will be charged $25 for a late cancellation (less than 2 hours’ notice) or a failed appointment.