Health Care Checklist
The UHC would like to help make the transition to college life as easy as possible for you and your student. Below are some items you need to complete or send with your student so they are ready for their first office visit.
- What To Send With Your Student:
- Confidential Medical History Form
We encourage parents to fill this form and send it with your student, to help us provide better health care for your student.
- Immunization Records
May prevent the student from receiving unnecessary vaccines such as a tetanus shot.
- Insurance Cards
Give your student a copy of ALL insurance cards (medical, pharmacy, dental, etc.) for their wallet
Photocopies acceptable (front and back of card)
UHC can file claims at time of service if your student has a copy of the insurance card
- List of Allergies
Assists with prescribing medications
- Pre-Enrollment Health Requirement Form
and Consent Form
The Pre-Enrollment Health Requirement is for all UNL students and must be met within 30 days of enrollment in classes. The Parent/guardian signature on the Pre-Enrollment Health Requirement Form (this is the Consent Form part) will be kept on-file for treatment purposes (mandatory for under 19).
A provider's copy of the current prescription to fill a new order.
Container with current pharmacy name and number of refills to transfer the prescription
Medicine Cabinet Items
Dr. James Guest, UHC director, recommends the following items for a well-stocked college student's medicine cabinet:
- Acetaminophen or ibuprofen for pain relief or fever
- Antacid like Tums®, Rolaids®, Maalox® or Mylanta® for upset stomach
- Antihistamine for runny nose due to allergy or colds (chlorpheniramine or Claritin®)
- Decongestant for stuffy nose due to colds (pseudoephedrine)
- Saline nasal spray for nasal congestion
- Throat lozenges or hard candy for sore or irritated throat
- Antibacterial ointment, like Polysporin®
- Aloe vera gel for burn and skin irritation
- 1% hydrocortisone cream for insect bites and skin irritations
- Adhesive bandages of various sizes for small wounds and blisters
- Gauze and tape for bigger wounds
- Elastic wrap (ACE® Wrap)
- Ice or heat pack (Icy Hot®)
- Sun screen, SPF 15 or greater
- Tweezers and small scissors
- Insect repellent
- Lip balm
- Skin moisturizer
- Hand sanitizer
The UHC Pharmacy has generics of these medications and medical supplies, at prices below most commercial pharmacies. So, if you forget something, need to restock or just have other needs, check out the pharmacy at the University Health Center.
Pre-Enrollment Health Requirement
The Pre-Enrollment Health Requirement must be met by all UNL students. If this requirement is not met within 30 days of enrollment in classes, your student will receive a written notice from UHC. After 60 days, a hold will be placed on your student's account.
The Parent/guardian signature on the Pre-Enrollment Health Requirement Form will be kept on file for treatment purposes (mandatory for under 19).
For more information and to download the
Pre-Enrollment Health Requirement Form, click here.
The University Health Center
Centrally located on campus, the University Health Center (UHC) provides a convenient source of healthcare services. The UHC is one of the most comprehensive outpatient facilities in Lincoln offering a variety of medical and dental services and providing counseling for students. Because a portion of each student's fees supports the UHC, most charges for services are lower than community rates.
- When your student is ill or injured, have him/her call the UHC at 402-472-5000 to make an appointment.
- 8:00a.m.—6:00p.m., Monday thru Thursday
- 8:00a.m.—5:00p.m., Friday
- 9:00a.m.—12:30p.m., Saturday and designated holidays
The UHC is open the following hours during the academic year:
A triage nurse in the medical clinic is able to see your student if they are unable to make a same-day appointment. The triage nurse can assess if immediate care is needed or if an appointment with a provider at a later time is appropriate.