Parent FAQs

About the University Health Center

  • Centrally located on campus, the University Health Center (UHC) provides a convenient source of healthcare services.

  • The UHC is one of the most comprehensive outpatient facilities in Lincoln, offering a variety of medical and dental services and providing counseling for students.

  • Because a portion of each student's fees supports the UHC, most charges for services are lower than community rates.

  • When your student is ill or injured, have him/her call the UHC at 402-472-5000 to make an appointment. The UHC is conveniently open Monday-Saturday.

  • A triage nurse in the medical clinic is able to see your student if they are unable to make a same-day appointment. The triage nurse can assess if immediate care is needed or if an appointment with a provider at a later time is appropriate.

Pre-Enrollment Health Requirement

The Pre-Enrollment Health Requirement must be met by all UNL students. If this requirement is not met within 30 days of enrollment in classes, your student will receive a written notice from UHC. After 60 days, a hold will be placed on your student's account.

The Parent/guardian signature on the Pre-Enrollment Health Requirement Form will be kept on file for treatment purposes (mandatory for under 19).

For more information and to download the Pre-Enrollment Health Requirement Form, click here.

Recommended Immunizations

Why vaccinate?

  • Protect yourself and others
  • Avoid serious disease or illness
  • Avoid potential complications from diseases
  • Avoid missed days/semester of school
Recommended Immunizations
Tetanus, Diphtheria, Pertussis (Tdap) CDC Vaccine/
Disease Info
Immunization Information VIS Single injection every 5-10 years Every student should get one booster dose of Tdap
Meningococcal CDC Vaccine/
Disease Info
Immunization Information VIS Single Injection College students in close contact more susceptible
MMR (Measles, Mumps, and Rubella) CDC Vaccine/
Disease Info Measles, Mumps, Rubella
Immunization Information VIS Two Injections Required by the University
Hepatitis B CDC Vaccine/
Disease Info
Immunization Information VIS Three Injections Serious viral disease affecting the liver
Hepatitis A CDC Vaccine/
Disease Info
Immunization Information VIS Two Injections Viral disease affecting the liver
College students traveling outside the United States need Hepatitis A
Human Papillomavirus (HPV) CDC Vaccine/
Disease Info
Immunization Information VIS Three Injections Can prevent most cases of cervical cancer and genital warts
Recommended for both females and males 9-26 years of age

What to Send with Your Student

The UHC would like to help make the transition to college life as easy as possible for you and your student. Below are some items you need to complete or send with your student so they are ready for their first office visit.

  • Consent for Treatment of a Minor Form
    If your student is under 19 years old.

  • Confidential Medical History Form
    We encourage parents to fill this form and send it with your student, to help us provide better health care for your student.

  • Insurance Cards
    Give your student a copy of ALL insurance cards (medical, pharmacy, dental, etc.) for their wallet
    Photocopies acceptable (front and back of card)
    UHC can file claims at time of service if your student has a copy of the insurance card

  • List of Allergies
    Assists with prescribing medications

  • Prescriptions
    A provider's copy of the current prescription to fill a new order or Container with current pharmacy name and number of refills to transfer the prescription

Medicine Cabinet Items

Dr. James Guest, UHC director, recommends the following items for a well-stocked college student's medicine cabinet:

Over-the-Counter Medications
Acetaminophen or Ibuprofen for pain relief or fever
Antacid like Tums®, Rolaids®, Maalox® or Mylanta® for upset stomach
Antihistamine for runny nose due to allergy or colds (chlorpheniramine or Claritin®)
Decongestant for stuffy nose due to colds (pseudoephedrine)
Saline nasal spray for nasal congestion
Throat lozenges or hard candy for sore or irritated throat
Antibacterial ointment, like Polysporin®
Aloe vera gel for burn and skin irritation
1% hydrocortisone cream for insect bites and skin irritations

General Medical Supplies
Adhesive bandages of various sizes for small wounds and blisters
Gauze and tape for bigger wounds
Elastic wrap (ACE® Wrap)
Ice or heat pack (Icy Hot®)
Sun screen, SPF 15 or greater
Tweezers and small scissors
Insect repellent
Lip balm
Skin moisturizer
Hand sanitizer

The UHC Pharmacy has generics of these medications and medical supplies, at prices below most commercial pharmacies. So, if you forget something, need to restock or just have other needs, check out the pharmacy at the University Health Center.