The Centers for Disease Control recommends HIV testing for everyone ages 13 to 64 as a part of your routine healthcare, regardless of risk.
The University Health Center offers confidential, free HIV testing and counseling for any fee paying UNL student.
Simply ask your provider or nurse for a free HIV test as a part of your medical exam.
Free HIV testing is also available on Mondays from noon - 4 p.m. at the Gaughan Center during the academic year.
- HIV stands for Human Immunodeficiency Virus
- HIV is the virus that causes AIDS (Acquired Immuno Deficiency Syndrome)
- HIV is transmitted through exposure to infected blood, breast milk, semen or vaginal fluids
- Most people are exposed to these fluids through unprotected vaginal, anal or oral sex or through sharing needles
How can I reduce my risk?
- Practice safer sex, minimize your number of sexual partners, and don't share needles
- If you feel you are at risk, talk to one of our nurses trained in HIV prevention about making a risk reduction plan