Failed Visit Charges
If you are unable to make your scheduled appointment you must cancel the appointment by the required notice deadline, otherwise you will be charged for a missed appointment.
Information on specific charges can be found in the UHC Price Guide, under "Failed Visit Charges."
For more information on how to schedule and/or cancel an appointment, visit the Appointments page.
Students are not required to carry medical insurance to use the UHC, but are strongly encouraged to do so. While many services are priced below community rates, medical insurance will often cover a portion or all of these charges depending on your insurance plan.
If you are not covered by a medical insurance plan, the UNL "Healthy Option" insurance plan is offered through the UHC by Aetna Student Health and the Ameritas Group.
For detailed information about the UNL "Healthy Option" insurance plan visit the Insurance Benefits page and the Aetna Student Health website.
The UNL "Healthy Option" insurance plan is underwritten by Aetna and the dental insurance plan is underwritten by Ameritas.
We encourage all students to review their current health insurance coverage. It is wise to shop around and make sure you have the right amount of coverage or a plan that fits your needs.
Filing Insurance Claims
We are more than happy to file patient charges with any insurance company as long as the patient has the necessary insurance information. To expedite insurance filing, please bring your insurance card (or a front and back copy of your policyholder's card) to all UHC visits.
All patients are encouraged to carry an insurance card at all times in case of emergency.
Payment (Price Guide)
- After your visit, you will need to checkout at "Appointments and Billing" in the main lobby. If you have charges for your visit, the following payment options are offered:
- The UHC will file your insurance claim or provide an insurance ready bill at the time of service. Please bring a copy of your insurance card with you to the visit.
The UHC is a preferred provider for ONLY Blue Cross Blue Shield and the UNL "Healthy Option" Student Plan. If a student carries Blue Cross Blue Shield or the UNL "Healthy Option" Student Plan, the claim will be filed automatically with the proper insurance information.
- You will receive a billing statement 15 days after your visit. After 30 days, unpaid charges will be transferred to Central Bill (Student Account Bill).
- For payment at the time of service, the UHC accepts payment in the form of cash, check, charge (VISA/MasterCard), or charged to your NCard.
Questions to Ask
- When comparing insurance plans, please consider:
- Have you compared costs?
The UNL Student Medical and Dental Insurance Plan costs approximately $125 per month.
- Does your current plan have local and national doctors and hospitals available to your student?
If you plan on vacationing, leaving the campus area or if your HMO only covers you as a dependent near your home town, you should consider the Student Insurance Plan. The UNL Student Insurance Plan offers access to a Preferred Provider Network in the local Lincoln community and nationally if you require treatment outside the campus area.
- Does your current plan have a high deductible option?
If yes, the Student Medical Plan has a Preferred Care deductible of $400 per insured and will be waived when treatment is rendered at the UHC.
UHC Eligibility/ Facility Fees
The University Health Center (UHC) is partially funded through the University Program and Facilities Fees (UPFF) which is assessed with tuition for all University of Nebraska-Lincoln students.
- Eligibility for the UHC is as follows:
- 7 or more credits - Services at subsidized rates (usually lower than community rates) including NO CHARGE for primary care visits. The UHC facility fee cannot be waived.
- 6 or less credits - May elect to pay facility fees to become eligible for subsidized rates
The UHC facility fee DOES NOT cover medical services received outside the UHC. You will be responsible for all outside charges. The UHC facility fee is completely separate from the UNL Healthy Option Student Plan premium.