The CAPS staff provides individual, group and relationship counseling.
Walk-in and after hours assistance is available for students with urgent concerns.
In addition, staff psychiatrists can prescribe medications if needed.
We also offer special workshops and support groups that help students relax, gain assertiveness skills, manage the demands of school and children, improve body image, complete theses and dissertations, manage anger, and handle other issues of concern.
The list of services available include:
- Anxiety and Depression
- Drug and Alcohol Counseling
- Relationship Difficulties
- Eating Disorders
- Sexuality Concerns
- Communication Skills
- Time Management
- Learning Disabilities / ADD
- Diversity Concerns
- Grief and Trauma
- Social Justice Issues
- Other Personal Concerns
To Make an Appointment
Call 402 472-7450 to schedule an appointment Monday to Friday: 8 a.m. – 5 p.m.
We're here for you! The multiculturally and professionally diverse staff at Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) consists of psychologists, counselors, psychiatrists, and psychiatric nurse practitioners who are available to respond to a broad spectrum of concerns and issues.
- All registered students at UNL are eligible for services.
- For students who have paid UNL student fees*, there is no charge for the first 3 counseling/psychotherapy sessions.
- The fourth and subsequent counseling/psychotherapy sessions are at subsidized rates (less than community rates).
- Costs for psychiatric visits begin with the first session and UNL student fees must be paid to receive the subsidized rates.
- Community rates for counseling, psychological and psychiatric services are much higher, but we are able to keep our charges low because all services are subsidized by student fees.
* Students enrolled for 7 or more credit hours are automatically charged student fees.
Students not taking classes during the summer who were enrolled at UNL the previous spring or who are registered at UNL for the upcoming fall semester are eligible for services. One follow-up session for counseling/psychotherapy and/or psychiatric visit is allowed the semester or summer immediately after the last semester as an enrolled student.
If you cannot keep a scheduled appointment, please call CAPS (402-472-7450) at least 24 hours in advance to cancel or reschedule.
Leave a message on the confidential voicemail if calling after hours. This is a very important courtesy for you to extend to other students, so as to let our office make time available for someone else.
Failure to cancel or reschedule for any appointment, (including your three no charge counseling/psychotherapy sessions, psychiatric sessions, or testing) at least 24 hours in advance will result in a charge for the appointment time.
After Hours Emergency ServiceCall 402-472-7450 OR Line-to-Care at 402-219-8050 to contact your therapist or another therapist in CAPS.
Privacy and Confidentiality
We Respect Your Privacy.
All CAPS services are confidential.
All records are accessible only to CAPS staff. Records are accessible to other University Health Center medical providers on an as-needed basis only. Information is released only with the written consent of the client, except as required by law.
Online Screening Program
The Online Screening Program is for depression, alcohol and eating disorders; the screenings are provided so that you may find out whether or not professional consultation would be helpful. These free screenings are available to all UNL students and are taken anonymously.