Hours of Service
Mondays through Fridays: 7:30 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Saturdays and Sundays: Closed
- University of Nebraska students from all campuses
- UNL, Nebraska Medicine and UNMC employees and their dependents who are 19 years or older
- Visiting scholars
Services Covered By Student Fees
- A brief discussion with a physical therapy team member about the benefits of their services (Physical therapy evaluation and treatment is not covered.)
Comprehensive Physical Therapy to Get Your Life Back to Normal
Don’t suffer through those aches and pains. Let the University Health Center Physical Therapy team help! We offer evaluation, treatment and rehabilitation of injuries and conditions affecting muscles, bones and joints. We provide excellent patient care and individualized treatments focused on returning you to a high quality of life and success in daily activities.
Our physical therapy team will work with you to determine the best treatment plan to help you achieve your goals. Potential treatment methods could include:
- Aquatic therapy
- Dry needling
- Instrument Assisted Soft Tissue Mobilization (IASTM)
- Individualized exercises and stretches
- Kinesio taping
- Manual therapy (e.g., joint mobilization, soft tissue mobilization)
- Mechanical traction
- Neuromuscular re-education
- Modalities (e.g., ultrasound, electrical stimulation, iontophoresis, heat or ice therapy)
- Back and neck pain
- Chronic dysfunction
- Joint and muscle aches
- Motor vehicle injuries
- Muscle tension headaches
- Post-surgical rehabilitation
- Repetitive strain injuries
- Sports injuries
- Work-related injuries
- Physical therapy services are available to UNL students, faculty and staff from 7:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Friday by appointment only
- Call 402-472-5000 to schedule an appointment
- A written prescription is required to begin physical therapy at the health center. This order can come from a University Health Center or non-University Health Center medical professional. We accept orders from doctors, nurse practitioners, physician assistants, dentists and chiropractors. Orders are valid for up to 60 days from the date written
- Student fees cover a brief discussion with a physical therapy team member about the benefits of our services. This does not include a personal evaluation or treatment
- All other visits will incur a charge. To determine how much your visit will cost, we recommend contacting your health insurance provider for coverage information, particularly for aqua therapy
- Patients are responsible for any charges not covered by insurance
What to Expect At Your First Visit
Each treatment is tailored for each patient. Every individual and injury/pain is unique, so there is not a one-size-fits-all approach to treatment. In general, this is what you can expect.
- At your first appointment, a physical therapist will perform a complete physical exam that includes an evaluation of your strength, balance, posture, flexibility and range of motion
- They will review your health history
- This visit helps you and your physical therapists determine the best treatment plan to achieve your goals. Expect this appointment to last about an hour
- Your treatment will continue in the form of follow-up visits with a member of our physical therapy team
- The number of visits you will need depends on your needs and progress
- During these follow-up visits, a staff member will provide care in alignment with your treatment plan and goals
- You will also receive a home exercise program in the form of stretches or exercises to complete outside of therapy as part of your regular routine
Patient Testimonial: David Rikli
Patient Testimonial: Destini Morales
Neck Stretch for Pain Relief
Relieve Tension Headaches
Try This Simple Stretch to Relieve Back Pain
Sitting Posture Tips to Avoid Pain
Back Pack Safety Tips
Meet Our Staff
Kelsey Richters, PT, DPT
Licensed Physical Therapist
B.S., Exercise Science, Truman State University
Doctor of Physical Therapy, University of Central Arkansas
Experienced in: General orthopedics, sports medicine, running rehab, injury prevention, and health and wellness promotion.
Kelsey enjoys spending time with family and friends, traveling, photography, biking, running, and staying active, as well as painting, and gardening.
Wakon Lee, PT, DPT, CSCS
Licensed Physical Therapist
B.S., Nutrition Sciences, University of Nebraska-Lincoln
Doctor of Physical Therapy, Mayo Clinic School of Health Sciences
Experienced in: General orthopedics, sports medicine, vestibular conditions, concussions, strength and conditioning
Wakon is from Wichita, KS. He's a huge basketball and football fan as well as a human movement and performance nerd. Wakon enjoys spending time with his wife and friends, staying active in a variety of ways, going to coffee shops and breweries, and traveling/visiting family when possible.
Jenny Meints, PTA
Licensed Physical Therapist Assistant
Physical Therapist Assistant Program, Missouri Western State University
Experienced in: Outpatient care, general orthopedics and sports rehab
Jenny enjoys health and fitness and appreciates helping others improve their health and fitness at the same time. Jenny grew up in rural Nebraska and enjoys helping on the farm. She also loves photography, working out and spending time with her family and friends.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the cost of physical therapy services?
This will depend on your injury, treatment plan and the team member providing care. It is recommended you contact your insurance company to determine what they will cover.
How many appointments will I need?
Your physical therapist will determine appointment frequency based on your concerns and the treatment plan recommended for your situation. It’s important to schedule appointments as directed to build on your progress. Failure to schedule appointments as directed may result in a lack of improvement.
I’m enrolled in the university’s student insurance plan. What portion of my treatment will be covered?
In most cases, UnitedHealthcare StudentResources covers 100 percent of the cost of physical therapy treatment received at the University Health Center. Some restrictions may apply. If you have questions about the university's plan, please consult the student insurance advocate.