Frequently Asked Questions

General Insurance and Billing Allergy Dental Clinic Eye Clinic Immunizations Laboratory Physical Therapy Pharmacy Primary Care Psychiatric Medication Management Radiology Sexually Transmitted Infection Testing Transgender Care Clinic Travel Clinic Gynecological Services


Who is eligible to use the University Health Center?

Eligibility varies by service. See individual service webpages for information.

Do I need an appointment?

Most services at the University Health Center require an appointment. Visit our appointments webpage to learn more.

What do I need to bring to my appointment?

You’ll need a government-issued photo ID or NCard and your insurance card (or copy/picture of the front and back of the policyholder’s card) each time you visit. Know the policyholder’s name, birthdate, address, employer, approximate employer size and employment status (e.g., full time, part time). If you are directed to fill out any patient information forms, be sure to bring the completed forms with you.

Where do I check in for my appointment?

Medical appointments except physical therapy: Level two check-in desk

Physical therapy: Level one inside the physical therapy office

Dental: Level two at the dental office located by the northwest corner of the building

Counseling: Level two, inside CAPS suite 233

Big Red Resilience and Well-Being: Level one, by the north entrance

What is your cancellation policy?

While we do not charge a fee for appointment cancellations, we strongly recommend students call as soon as possible if they intend to cancel their appointment. When students make appointments and do not show up or call in advance, it reduces appointment availability for other students. This is why its important to carefully check your schedule, plan ahead and call as soon as you know your appointment won’t work for you.

A no-show is when a patient misses their scheduled appointment without informing the clinic of their cancellation. Only one no-show is allowed for specialty care services (i.e. orthopaedics, optometry, concussion clinic, dermatology and nutrition services). If a patient fails to show up to a scheduled appointment more than once, they will no longer be able to schedule with any specialists at the University Health Center.

Does the health center have experienced providers?

Yes. Our board-certified medical and nursing staff members are employed by Nebraska Medicine, the most esteemed academic health system in the region. Many have years or even decades of experience working with college students. Their quality of care and services offered rival even the best clinics in the area.

If I’m sick and miss class or work, can I get a sick note?

No. The University Health Center does not provide excuses for students who miss class, work or other engagements due to illness or injury. This policy is consistent with our commitment to maintain confidentiality, encourage appropriate use of health center resources and encourage students to have meaningful conversations with their professor. Students should notify their professors immediately if an absence is required due to illness or injury, preferable before class time begins. They should also follow the directions provided by the professor in the class syllabus. In some cases, students may need to fill out this form.

How much will my visit cost?

Cost will vary by services. Some services are covered by student fees. Others will incur a charge. For billing and insurance information, visit this webpage.

What services are available for free?

For more information about the health center fee and what it covers, visit this webpage.

The health center seems expensive. Is this because it is managed by Nebraska Medicine, and revenue goes to their entity?

The health center bills at the community rate. All revenue generated from services is not collected by Nebraska Medicine, but is given to the university for operating costs not covered by student fees, the ability to offer additional services, building updates, etc.

Will services such as birth control, sexually transmitted infection tests, plan B purchases, etc. show on the bill my parents receive?

Charges not paid for at the time of the visit are transferred to your Student Account within 30 days of the visit. These charges do not give details of your visit and will only appear as “Health Center Visit Charges”. No one will know from your charges what type of service you received at the health center. If you use health insurance to get tested, you should consider who else has access to that information (like a parent or partner if you share health insurance). If you do not want to submit your charge to insurance, please tell the front desk staff member at check-in.

Where can I park?

Parking is available in meters along N 19th Street and in the lot on the north side of the building. If parking in our lot, only use the stalls directly against the building that are marked with a "Patient Parking Only" sign. You will be ticketed for parking in other locations.  For visitors garage parking on campus, visit the UNL Parking and Transit Services website.

What do I do if I need health care and the health center is closed?

Learn more about after hours resources here.

I can’t register for classes because there is a hold on my account from the health center. What do I do?

The university requires all new domestic students to submit proof of two separate rubeola measles/MMR immunizations or a positive rubeola lab result and all new international students to submit proof of two separate rubeola measles/MMR immunizations or a positive rubeola lab result AND have a tuberculosis test completed at the University Health Center. If students do not complete this requirement by early in their first semester, a hold is placed on their account. Visit this page to learn how to remove the hold by completing the health requirement steps.

Insurance and Billing

How can I pay for service charges?

Charges can be submitted to insurance or paid for by cash, check, Visa or Mastercard and NCard. Thirty days following the visit, any unpaid charges remaining after insurance will be automatically transferred to student’s consolidated bill on MyRED.

Will my insurance cover the cost of service?

If you have questions about whether a particular charge will be covered by your insurance, contact your insurance company directly at their toll-free number, which is usually located on your insurance card. Your insurance company can tell you:

  • What services are covered under your plan
  • If a provider is in network with your insurance
  • If pre-authorization or a referral is required for charges to be covered
  • If you have a deductible and what you’ll pay after your deductible has been met
  • How much your co-insurance or co-payment will be

Remember, insurance benefits are determined by your insurance company and individual plan, not the health center. Patients are responsible for any charges not covered by your insurance, including applicable copay, co-insurance and/or deductible.

I don’t have health insurance. Can I be seen at the health center?

Health insurance is not required to be treated at the health center. Students who choose not to submit to insurance or do not have insurance can receive a 35 percent self-pay discount. Financial assistance is available through Nebraska Medicine. If you are interested in applying for financial assistance, we recommend doing so at least 30 days prior to the date you use health center services as it takes time to complete the process. Only students, not parents, can complete the financial assistance process. For more information and to begin applying, visit the Nebraska Medicine website.


I want to start getting my allergy shots at the health center. What do I do?
  1. Make an appointment with the allergy clinic in person at the medical check-in desk on level two of the University Health Center or by calling 402-472-5000.
  2. Print out and complete the Allergy Past Medical History (PMH) form and bring it with you to your appointment.
  3. Have your allergist mail your extract, orders and informed consent obtained by your primary allergist to the health center at:

Allergy Clinic
Nebraska Medicine–University Health Center
University of Nebraska-Lincoln
550 N 19th St
Lincoln, NE 68588-0618

Are allergy clinic visits covered by student fees?

No, allergy clinic visits do not qualify for the five medical and/or travel clinic visits covered by student fees. We bill at the community rate. Charges can be submitted to insurance or paid for at the time of the visit with cash, check, NCard, Visa or Mastercard.

Will my insurance cover my allergy shots?

This is determined by your insurance provider. Please contact them for more information.

I’m concerned I have seasonal allergies. Can the allergy clinic help me with this concern?

No, the allergy clinic only sees patients who are currently receiving allergy shots. We recommend making an appointment with the health center’s medical clinic. One of our family practice providers can address your concern.

I’m going to be out of town for break. Can I take my serum with me?

No, we cannot release the serum to you for hand delivery to another clinic. If you will be out of town for more than two weeks, we can mail it to your allergist or primary care provider who will administer the serum during your stay. They will be required to return it to us at the end of your trip. We cannot accept hand-carried serum.

Do you offer services for students with food allergies?

We do not offer these services through the Allergy Clinic. However, our registered dietitian can assist by creating a personalized menu, coordinating a tour of the dining complexes on campus, discussing areas of cross-contamination and more. To schedule an appointment with the dietitian, call 402-472-5000.

Dental Clinic

How do I make an appointment?

Schedule a dental exam with a hygienist by calling 402-472-7495.

Who is eligible to receive dental care at the University Health Center?

We provide care to current UNL students, faculty and staff as well as spouses and children (16 and older) of students, faculty and staff.

What is the cost of care?

Services are not covered by student fees and will incur a charge. This charge depends on the service provided and your insurance plan (if you choose to submit to insurance).

I have the university’s student insurance plan. What dental coverage does it offer?

The UNL student insurance plan offers a $1,000 policy-year maximum, which includes two healthy mouth cleanings, two exams and one set of bite wing X-rays per year covered at 100 percent. These covered services come out of your $1,000 policy-year maximum. You are responsible for keeping track of your maximum if you see dental providers outside the health center. For other covered services, coinsurance applies. Click here to learn more about the student insurance plan.

How often should I go to the dentist?

We recommend that most patients have a dental exam and a dental cleaning once every six months. If you have other dental concerns, you may need more frequent visits. Discuss this with your dental hygienist at your next appointment.

Eye Clinic

What happens during a routine eye exam?

The exam will begin with a complete health history. Next, the optometrist will examine your eyes for any diseases or defects and assess your ability to see clearly from long and short distances. You may also be examined for eye coordination, color vision, depth perception, refractive error and field of vision. Your exam results will determine if the optometrist will prescribe corrective lenses or medication.

How often should I have my eyes checked?

If you wear contact lenses, it is recommended you have an eye exam annually. If you are under the age of 35 and do not wear contact lenses, it is recommended you have an eye exam every two years. Those 35 and older should have an exam annually because age makes you more likely to experience changes in vision and focus.

How can I get a prescription for eye wear filled?

Contact lens prescriptions can be filled at the health center. Staff can help connect you to community resources that fill glasses prescriptions.


I’m a community member who is not a currently enrolled student. How will I be billed for my immunization charges?

We can automatically bill most domestic insurance companies if patients provide the necessary policy information at check-in. Payment will be required at the time of service for some insurance companies. We also accept cash, check, NCard, Visa and Mastercard.

What is the full list of immunizations offered at the health center?

For Vaccine Information Statements in other languages, click here.

Are immunizations covered by student fees?

Immunizations do not qualify for the five medical and/or travel clinic visits covered by student fees. Immunizations will be billed at the community rate. Charges can be submitted to insurance or paid for at the time of the visit with cash, check, NCard, Visa or Mastercard.


Do I really need this test?

Providers will only order lab tests they need to make a diagnosis or decisions about your care. Patients have the right to refuse any test, but this may impact your provider’s ability to provide you with care.

When will I get my test results?

Most tests results are available within one to two business days. Certain bacterial cultures, viral cultures, pap tests, tissue biopsies and other tests may take longer. At the time of your visit, ask the lab staff member when you will receive your results.

How can I get my test results?

Once your result is in, your provider or nurse will call you. The results will be added to your medical record as soon as they are available, but this may take up to 30 days. Lab staff cannot release results directly to you. For questions about your lab result, please call 402-472-5000 and follow the prompts to speak to the nurse.

I have an outside order. Can I use the University Health Center lab?

Yes, the lab performs tests ordered from health center providers as well as those in the community and out of state. Your provider must fax the test order to the health center lab or you will be required to submit your written test order at the time you make an appointment.

Are laboratory services covered by student fees?

Students who pay student fees can receive doctor-ordered wellness profiles, chlamydia/gonorrhea testing and HIV testing for no additional cost. A doctor’s order is required for these services to be no charge; self-ordered tests will incur a charge.

All other laboratory services will be billed at the community rate and can be submitted to insurance or paid for at the time of the visit with cash, check, NCard, Visa or Mastercard. Lab visits are not included in the five covered visits to the medical clinic.

Will my insurance cover my lab services?

This is determined by your insurance provider. Please contact them for more information.

Physical Therapy

What is the cost of physical therapy services?

This will depend on your injury, treatment plan and the team member providing care. It is recommended you contact your insurance company to determine what they will cover.

How many appointments will I need?

Your physical therapist will determine appointment frequency based on your concerns and the treatment plan recommended for your situation. It’s important to schedule appointments as directed to build on your progress. Failure to do so may result in a lack of improvement.

I’m enrolled in the university’s student insurance plan. What portion of my treatment will be covered?

In most cases, UnitedHealthcare StudentResources covers 100 percent of the cost of physical therapy treatment received at the University Health Center. Some restrictions may apply. Consult the student insurance advocate for more information.


How long will it take to fill my prescription?

Times may vary, but most same-day refills are fulfilled within 20 minutes. To save you waiting time, we recommend requesting a refill 24 hours prior to pickup. Your first visit will include gathering your personal information and allergies. Bring your insurance card or a copy/photo of both sides of the card with you to your visit. Please note that some insurance providers have separate medical and prescription cards, in which case you will need to bring your prescription card only.

Can I request refills in advance?

Yes. Have the prescription number (printed on the prescription container and on your pharmacy receipt) handy. We recommend requesting refills 48 hours in advance if you do not have refills remaining.

  • Request by App
  • Request refills online
  • Call the health center pharmacy at 402-472-7457
Can I send someone else to pick up my prescription?

Prescription information is confidential by law, so we prefer for you to pick up a new prescription so we can explain the drug to you personally. You can send someone else to pick up a refilled prescription. Call 402-472-7457 in advance to authorize another person to pick up the prescription refill. For your protection, the person picking up the prescription will be asked for identification.

Will my parents be notified about my prescriptions?

We will provide prescription information to you only, unless you give written authorization to release this information. However, if you are using insurance belonging to your parent(s), the insurance company may or may not contact the person responsible for that insurance policy. All University Health Center pharmacy information is strictly confidential.

Are there restrictions for purchasing Plan B One Step?

There is no longer an age limit to purchase Plan B, and identification is no longer required.

Are there restrictions for purchasing Sudafed or products containing pseudoephedrine?

Yes. The buyer must present a valid government-issued photo ID — no exceptions.

If I attend UNK, UNMC or UNO, can I use the University Health Center pharmacy?

Yes, you have the same access to the University Health Center pharmacy as University of Nebraska-Lincoln students.

Can I use the University Health Center after I leave the university?

Students may use the health center pharmacy for one semester after they have left the university.

Do you have information about patient assistance programs that may help me cover the cost of my medication?

Patient assistance programs are run by pharmaceutical companies. These programs help patients who qualify to receive medication free of charge or at a reduced rate. Qualifications vary from company to company, but most are based on income and lack of prescription coverage. The University Health Center offers enrollment assistance at no charge. Call 402-472-5000 for more information. Below are sites that provide a directory of available programs for a variety of needs:

Primary Care

How early should I arrive to my appointment?

Aim to arrive 20 minutes early to ensure you have enough time to get checked in and fill out the necessary paperwork. If you are more than 5 minutes late to your appointment, you may be asked to reschedule and offered the soonest available appointment with the same or another provider.

Will I need to complete any forms?

In some cases, you will need to complete forms. When you call or visit to make an appointment, the medical receptionist will let you know which, if any, forms you are required to complete.

How can I get a copy of my medical records?

Click here for more information.

What do I do if I run out of my medications?

Call your pharmacy to request a refill.

Who will know I was seen for an appointment?

By law, all visits and medical records are confidential. We cannot release your information without your written consent. Unless otherwise requested, we will bill your insurance provider for services provided. You will receive an Explanation of Benefits from your insurance company, but this will not include treatment details. Bills that aren’t covered by insurance will be sent to your UNL Student Account, but details of your visit will not be included.

Psychiatric Medication Management

What can I expect during my first appointment with a psychiatric provider?

Your first appointment is scheduled for 60 minutes. It begins similar to a regular doctor’s appointment. After you’ve checked in at the front desk, a nurse will call you back from the waiting room and will gather your vital signs, review your allergies and medications and go over your health history. When this is completed, you will then meet with a psychiatric team member.

Plan on being asked a lot of questions about your physical health (past or current illnesses, injuries or surgeries), social history (school, work, hobbies, relationships, gender identity, spiritual beliefs, drug/alcohol use, etc.) and mental health history (any treatment you may have received prior to this appointment). Of course, time will also be spent discussing the concerns that prompted you to schedule the appointment.

At the end of the evaluation, the psychiatric provider will talk with you about your symptoms and possible diagnosis, go over your treatment options (which may or may not include medication), answer any questions you may have and schedule a return appointment.

What are follow-up appointments like?

After you’ve been established with one of our psychiatric providers, follow-up appointments are scheduled to see if your symptoms are improving, if any changes should be made and to address any additional questions or concern you may have. Follow-up appointments are scheduled on average for 30 minutes but can vary depending on your needs.

How often you will follow up with your psychiatric provider is determined by you and your provider. Frequency of follow-up appointments may be one week, two weeks, one month, three months, four months or six months for example. This is based on your medication, condition and symptoms. It is important to remember that frequency of appointments are determined to provide you with the best, safest care.

When prescribing stimulants to treat ADD/ADHD, it is necessary that we see you at least every three months and sooner if making medication changes.

How does a member of the psychiatric team determine what medication to prescribe for me?

These decisions are based on several criteria, such as your symptoms, if you have any other medical conditions, what medications/herbal supplements you are currently taking, what medications you’ve already tried, etc.

Remember, responses to medication are highly individualized. A medicine that works well for one person (even if a family member) may work very differently for you. It may require trying a few different medications to find the right one that works for you. It is also important to remember that any medication can take up to eight week or longer to achieve the full benefit.

Will taking medication change who I am or my personality?

No. The goal of treatment is to stabilize brain chemistry and relieve your symptoms so you can feel like yourself again. Think of it like having a broken leg. Putting a cast on your leg doesn’t change who you are. Instead, it stabilizes your leg so you’re more capable of being who you are. It is very important to take your medication consistently in order to improve your symptoms.

Is taking medication a sign of weakness?

No. Treating mental health issues with medication is no different than taking medication for medical conditions like allergies, asthma, infections or diabetes.

Can I become addicted to anti-depressant medication?

No. These medications are not addictive. However, there are some medications in other drug classes used by medical providers that can be habit forming. Your provider will discuss this with you should it become a concern. At any time, feel free to ask questions.

What if I already have a psychiatric provider at home but would also like to see a health center psychiatric provider?

No need to worry. Our psychiatric team is more than willing to coordinate care with your psychiatric provider at home. Every effort is made to be sure the transitions between home and school are as seamless as possible.

What if I already have a psychiatric provider at home and all I need are my medication(s) refilled?

The best option is to have your psychiatric provider at home write a prescription that you can have refilled at the health center pharmacy. Our psychiatric team cannot refill medications without having an initial evaluation and routine follow-up appointments.

I think I have ADD/ADHD, but I’ve never been diagnosed. Can you evaluate me?

Psychological testing is the gold standard in making the most accurate diagnosis of ADD/ADHD. Our psychiatric providers do not provide that sort of assessment. Because so many other conditions can look like ADD/ADHD, we recommend contacting Counseling and Psychological Services at 402-472-7450 to schedule an appointment with a therapist and further discuss your symptoms.

If psychological testing is recommended, then a referral to a psychologist in the community will be provided. Our psychiatric providers can also provide you with community referrals if needed. Please be advised, in most cases ADD/ADHD medication will not be prescribed without a formal ADD/ADHD diagnosis. The decision will be up to your psychiatric provider and is made on a case-by-case basis.

I heard that the University Health Center offers genetic testing. Is this true?

Yes, but maybe not the kind of genetic testing that first comes to mind. The genetic testing offered at the health center evaluates how well a person metabolizes various medications. It does not provide any information on ethnicity or medical conditions. The test can only be ordered by a medical provider and will require a full psychiatric evaluation if you have not already established care with one of our psychiatric providers. This test is not free and is not covered by most insurance companies. Please visit the Gene Sight website or talk with your psychiatric provider for more information.

Are there other resources for students with mental health concerns?

If you are feeling stressed or need to talk to someone, contact the experts at Counseling and Psychological Services. They provide free short-term counseling, group therapy and other options to help you manage your concerns.

Big Red Resilience and Well-being offers many resources to students. You can visit their office located on level one of the University Health Center or visit their website.

The Office for Students with Disabilities can help if your condition leads to difficulties with your academic success. Accommodations may be available.


What will an X-ray cost?

This depends on the type of X-ray ordered by your physician. Radiology services are not covered by student fees. If you plan to submit the charge to insurance, contact the insurance company to determine how much you will be required to pay with your plan.

Are X-ray services covered by the student insurance plan?

In most cases, the UnitedHealthcare StudentResources plan covers X-rays received on site at 100 percent. Some restrictions apply. Consult the student insurance advocate for more information.
If you require a special procedure that is scheduled at a facility in the community, the service will not be covered at 100 percent, and your $500 annual deductible will apply.

How and when will I receive my results?

Results are typically received within one to three business days. Your provider will contact you with your results, but a follow-up appointment may be scheduled in some circumstances.

Are appointments required for X-rays?

No, patients are seen on a walk-in basis during medical clinic hours if they have a doctor’s referral. If you have not received a doctor’s referral, you will be required to make an appointment to visit a provider before walking in for your X-ray.

If I received an X-ray order from my doctor back home or in the community, may I still receive an X-ray at the health center?

Yes, our radiology department accepts outside orders. These orders can be faxed to us at 402-472-4593 from your physician.

Sexually Transmitted Infection Testing

Who should get tested?

Anyone who is sexually active should get tested annually for common STIs and HIV.

Why should I get tested?
  1. 10 million young people ages 15 to 24 are diagnosed with a sexually transmitted infection each year.
  2. Most STIs have no signs or symptoms or mild signs that can easily be overlooked, so the only way to know is to get tested.
  3. Women can have long-term effects of these diseases, including pelvic inflammatory disease, chronic pelvic pain, tubal scarring, ectopic pregnancy and infertility.
How would I know if I had an STI?

Most STIs have no symptoms, so getting tested regularly is the best way to know. If you experience STI symptoms, they may include:

  • Unexplained abdominal/pelvic or testicular pain
  • Genital discharge
  • Burning urination
  • Genital rash, itching or sores
What are the common STI tests offered at the University Health Center?
  • Chlamydia: This STI is common in the U.S. with nearly 3 million cases reported each year. Most women with chlamydia (and about half of men) do not experience symptoms. Since symptoms may not be present, the only way to know if a person who may be at risk is infected with chlamydia is to be tested. Type of test: Swab of genital area or urine sample. This test is always offered in conjunction with gonorrhea and cannot be separated. View chlamydia FAQs.
  • Genital Herpes: It is estimated that one in five persons in the U.S. has genital herpes; however, as many as 90 percent are unaware that they have the virus. Type of test: Blood test or swab of affected area. View herpes FAQs.
  • Gonorrhea: This STI is a curable infection. It is transmitted during vaginal, anal and oral sex (performing or receiving). Many men infected with gonorrhea have symptoms, while most women do not. Even when women do have symptoms, they can be mistaken for a bladder infection or other vaginal infection. Type of test: Swab of genital area or urine sample. This test is always offered in conjunction with chlamydia and cannot be separated. View gonorrhea FAQs.
  • Hepatitis A, B and C: Hepatitis is an inflammation of the liver that can be caused by a group of viruses. Type of test: Blood test. View hepatitis FAQs.
  • HIV: HIV stands for Human Immunodeficiency Virus. It is the virus that causes AIDS. Over time, infection with HIV can weaken the immune system to the point that the system has difficulty fighting off certain infections. Type of test: Blood test. View HIV FAQs.
  • Oral Herpes: More than 50 percent of the adult population in the U.S. has oral herpes. Herpes can also be transmitted when there are no symptoms present. Type of test: Visual diagnosis. View herpes FAQs.
  • Syphilis: This STI is a curable, bacterial infection. The bacteria enter the body through mucous membranes or torn or cut skin. Once inside the body, syphilis enters the blood stream and attaches to cells, damaging organs over time. Type of test: Blood test or sample from sore. View syphilis FAQs.
Which STIs should I get tested for?

STIs are not like allergies; you can’t do a massive test for all STIs. These tests are specific to each infection. Talk to your doctor about which STI tests you need. Certain STIs are more common than others, so your provider may suggest you get tested regularly for them.

Remember to be honest and open with your provider about your sexual history. They are there to help, not judge you. What you share will help your doctor choose the most appropriate tests for your circumstances so that your testing will not cost more than necessary. Your individual risk factors will determine exactly which tests are most important for you.

How do I get tested for STIs and/or HIV at the health center?

Step 1: Call the health center at 402-472-5000 and follow the options to speak to a nurse. Tell the nurse that you’d like to get tested. The nurse line is usually available Monday through Friday from 8:20 a.m. to 4:40 p.m.

Step 2: Nursing will ask you a few questions and put in an order for your testing at our laboratory.

Step 3: Walk in at your convenience and check in at the health center front desk Monday through Friday between 8:20 a.m. to 4:40 p.m. Tell the registration staff that you’re checking in “for lab only.” Our staff will get you checked in and direct you to the lab, where you will complete your testing.

Step 4: Nursing staff will call you in a few business days with results and schedule follow-up as needed. Results will also be available in your One Chart | Patient portal in about 30 days.

Who will know I got tested?

All lab services and clinic medical records are strictly confidential. This information is kept between you and your doctor.

Minors (students 18 and younger) do not need parental consent for STI testing or treatment. STI testing and treatment information will not be shared with parents of minors without the minor’s permission.

If you have charges for an STI test, they will be transferred to your Student Account within 30 days of the visit. These charges do not give details of your visit and will only appear as “Health Center Visit Charges.” No one will know from your charges that you received STI testing at the health center.

If you use health insurance to get tested, you should consider who else has access to that information (like a parent or partner if you share health insurance). If you do not want to submit your charge to insurance, please tell the front desk staff member at check-in.

Positive results for some STIs, like HIV or syphilis, may be shared with state or city health departments for tracking purposes, but there are laws preventing health departments from sharing your test results with your family, friends or employer.

Be sure to ask your health care provider who will know that you got tested and your results, especially if you are using insurance. Ask questions and stay informed.

If I get tested for STIs at the health center, will it go on my academic record?

No, this information is kept strictly confidential and is not shared with the university in any way. Your information will go on your medical record in One Chart | Patient, but only you have access to this information and you choose who you share it with.

What is the cost?

Doctor-ordered chlamydia, gonorrhea and HIV tests are offered at no additional cost to students who have paid their UPFF (student fees). For pricing information regarding testing for other STIs, please call the health center billing office at 402-472-7435 between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. Monday through Friday.

Any charges you incur can be billed to your insurance. Nebraska Medicine participates with many insurance companies. Click here for the full list. Please bring your insurance card with you to your appointment.

Remember, if you use insurance, the primary insurance holder will receive information about what STI tests you received. If you pay for your STI tests by cash, check, Visa or Mastercard, you — and only you — will know what STI tests you received. If you do not want to submit your charge to insurance, please tell the front desk staff member at check-in.

What happens if I test positive for an STI?

First, remember to breathe. The side effects and health outcomes of many STIs can be treated, and many STIs are curable. Different treatment methods are used for different STIs. For some STIs, there are several treatment options. Here are two examples:

  • Tested positive for chlamydia: You will be given a prescription for an antibiotic that will cure this case of chlamydia. It is important that you follow the treatment recommended by your health care provider completely. Always continue your medication until it is finished, even if your symptoms have gone away. You could still get chlamydia again if you have sex with someone who has chlamydia. So it’s important that your partner(s) also get tested and treated for chlamydia before resuming sexual activity.
  • Tested positive for herpes: You can take medications to treat the symptoms. Although herpes is not a curable STI, it is easily treatable with medication. Medications are also available to help prevent future outbreaks and minimize their severity, as well as lower the chances of passing the virus on to partners. About one in six adults have herpes in the U.S., and they live normal, healthy lives. You’re not alone! You can also join support groups for people with herpes to help you cope and prevent transmission to others.
How do I tell my partner(s) I have an STI?

Some conversations seem really hard to have. Telling someone you have an STI may be one of them. But it’s not just about you; your partner needs to know so he or she can get tested and treated if necessary.

Everyone gets an STI from a person. Part of stopping the spread of STIs is open communication, so talk to your partner. This is never an easy conversation, but it’s an important one to have. Many couples report this conversation actually brings them closer together.

Make a plan. As soon as you’re ready, bring it up with your partner. You could talk to someone else about it first and practice what you’re going to say. You could also journal about it or practice talking in a mirror. You could even write your partner a letter. The main point is just to communicate. Be there for your partner the way you hope they would be there for you.

Transgender Care Clinic

What is the difference between sex and gender?

Sex refers to the biological and physiological characteristics that define men and women. Gender refers to the socially constructed roles, behaviors, activities and attributes that a given society considers appropriate for men and women.

What is gender identity?

Gender identity is a person’s innermost concept of self as male, female, a blend of both or neither – how individuals perceive themselves and what they call themselves. A person’s gender identity can be the same or different from their sex assigned at birth.

What is gender expression?

Gender expression is the external presentation of one's gender identity, usually expressed through behavior, clothing, haircut or voice, and which may or may not conform to socially defined behaviors and characteristics typically associated with being either masculine or feminine.

What does it mean to be transgender?

Transgender is an umbrella term for people whose gender identity and/or expression is different from cultural expectations based on the sex they were assigned at birth. Being transgender does not imply any specific sexual orientation. Therefore, transgender people may identify as straight, gay, lesbian, bisexual, pansexual, asexual, and so forth.

What does gender transition mean?

Gender transition is the process by which some people strive to more closely align their outward appearance with their internal experience of gender. Some people socially transition, which means they begin dressing, using names and pronouns and/or being socially recognized as another gender. Some people undergo physical transitions in which they modify their bodies through hormone therapy and/or surgery.

I am already receiving hormone therapy from another provider. Can I continue this care at the University Health Center?

Yes. We ask that you have your current provider send the health center a summary of your initial and most recent visits and most recent lab results. You can also bring this documentation with you to your first appointment. If you had a letter of support to begin hormone therapy, it’s not necessary to provide this letter to the health center in order to transition care.

How do I change my name, pronouns, sexual orientation and/or gender identity?

Let the front desk staff, nurse or provider know during your next visit. We will update your health record with this information and use it in all future communications and visits. If you notice that your information is incorrect in our system, let a staff member know.

Travel Clinic

How do I get my immunization records for the travel health appointment?

If you’ve traveled before, you may have these immunization recorded in a yellow international travel vaccination booklet. If you do not have this booklet, obtain your immunization records from your doctor’s office, county health department or high school/college.

What do I do if I have a post-travel illness or concern?

If you are a UNL student experiencing a fever, diarrhea or skin rashes/lesions, or if you think you might have an infectious disease or other travel-related concern, call 402-472-5000 to make an appointment. Be prepared to discuss your concern so that the phone attendant can book an appointment with the appropriate service for your needs. If you are a faculty, staff or community member, please consult with your primary care provider.

Gynecological Services

How often do I need a gynecological exam?

Pelvic exams should begin at age 21 or earlier if you are experiencing any pain or concerns and should be scheduled annually. Pap tests should also begin at age 21 and should be scheduled every three years so long as you do not have any abnormal results.

Do you talk about contraception, birth control and STIs during a gynecological exam?

Yes, we discuss contraception, including birth control pills, condoms, IUDs, implanted devices and NuvaRings. We also discuss STIs, including how to prevent, test for and treat them.

Will we talk about my period at a gynecological exam?

Yes, we will discuss how long your cycle is, how regular your cycles are, how heavy your flow is, and if you have any pain or discomfort during your periods.

Should I see the same provider every year?

If you scheduled a visit with a provider and feel comfortable seeing them again, we encourage you to schedule an appointment with them again so that you can continue building trust and honesty.

I missed my period. Now what?

This is a good time to make an appointment with the health center. There are many reasons why you may have missed your period, and our providers can help you find answers. You may be asked to complete a pregnancy test. Once pregnancy has been ruled out, other factors will be considered, such as stress levels, medications, change in health behavior or habits, etc.

How do I get a pregnancy test at the University Health Center?

Patients can self-order pregnancy tests from the health center lab Monday through Friday during normal business hours. No appointment is needed, but you must check in at the front desk. If a patient prefers a serum pregnancy test, she must make an appointment with a provider by calling 402-472-5000. Patients must make an appointment with the nurse service to receive the results of the pregnancy test. Patients with positive test results will be instructed on available pregnancy care options. Both urine and serum tests will incur a charge.

I think I may be pregnant. What should I do next?

The first step is to take a urine pregnancy test. Most urine pregnancy tests will be accurate beginning the first day of your missed period. If you have a positive test, make an appointment with the health center. Partners are welcome to attend the visit with you. During your appointment, our providers will discuss your options so that you can make the best decision for your needs, values and personal beliefs. No attempt will be made to influence your decision.

Pregnancy can result in three outcomes: Birth and parenting, birth and adoption, or termination of the pregnancy. Our providers can counsel and refer you to local resources depending on the outcome that you feel is best. All services and referrals are confidential.

I’m ready to start my first birth control pill pack. What do I need to know?

View our oral contraceptive handout for more information.

I forgot to take my pill. What do I do?

It’s important to take the pill at the same time every day, but sometimes things don’t always go according to plan. If you miss one pill, take it as soon as you remember and continue your regular pill schedule. If you miss two pills in a row, take two pills daily for two days, then finish the pack. If you miss three or more pills, start a new pill pack and expect breakthrough bleeding until your period starts. Use backup contraception.

What if I don’t like my birth control pills or want to switch to another type of contraception?

Unless your provider has told you otherwise, finish the package of pills before discontinuing them. If you are having unpleasant side effects, message your provider in your One Chart patient portal or call 402-472-5000 to speak to a nurse. You can usually switch to a different method of birth control at the end of your pack without any loss in contraceptive protection.

How do I get emergency contraception?

Emergency contraception (Plan B) is available for purchase at the University Health Center pharmacy. There is no longer an age limit to purchase Plan B, and identification is no longer required. The sooner the medication can be taken, the more effective it is. If the health center pharmacy is closed or if you are out of town, most pharmacies carry Plan B.

I think I have a yeast infection. What do I do?

If you have vaginal itching and a thick white discharge, it’s best if you call 402-472-5000 and follow the prompts to speak with a nurse about your concern. Depending on your symptoms, the nurse may schedule an appointment for you at the medical clinic to discuss your concern with a provider. The health center pharmacy carries medicine that can help treat your yeast infection.